Monday, November 5, 2012

EMPANADAS DE CARNE (BEEF EMPANADAS)


If I am the Peruvian Mom I know for sure how to make delicious Empanadas de Carne.
Lovely flaky pastry that is flavoured with cumin and red chili peppers , surrounding moist beef! Can't get any better than that! My friends and family ask me to make these all the time!


Ingredients:
Pastry


* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/3 cups shortening
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 cup cold water
Filling

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium onions , finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves , minced
* 2 lbs ground beef
* Aji Colorado Chile pod paste or one small can of tomato paste
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, parsley or oregano
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon of cumin.


Aji colorado Paste
10 dry California red chili pods 3 cloves of garlic 1 teaspoon of cumin 1/2 cup of water
To make the pastry: In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, curry, salt and turmeric. Cut in the butter and shortening until the mix resembles fine crumbs. Pour water in and make a soft dough. Gather the dough into a ball and wrap in wax paper. Chill for 1 hour.

To make the filling: In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the onions and garlic until soft. Place in a small bowl and set aside. Increase the heat to high. In the same pan, cook the beef until it is no longer pink. Drain the fat and stir in the onion mix, red chili pod paste, salt, oregano, black peppers. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.

Assembly: Divide pastry in half and roll 2 long sausage shapes. Slice each roll crosswise into roughly 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a 6" circle. Spoon some filling into the circle. Wet the edges of the circle with a little water and fold in half, making sure the edges meet. Trim into a neat half moon shape and imprint the edges with fork prongs.


Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 28 minutes or until the pastry is lightly brown.



10 comments:

Angie said...

I remember when you brought me some a few years ago. They are sooo delicious. I will be making them this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

valeriamadsen said...

Ur empanadas r the best!! Thanks for giving out the recipe!

Madeleine said...

Hi - I am happy to have happened upon your blog. Those look wonderful. I am looking for a recipe that will be like my grandmother's, who passed away. She was originally from Morropon. Her recipe included raisins, eggs, olives and powdered sugar. Is your recipe from a certain region of Peru? Do different areas include raisins and eggs and olives and other don't? Thanks for your blog.

Anonymous said...

Is there any changes to making the pastry dough in high altitude?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! used it for a spanish project

Anonymous said...

this look soooo good i am making them this week

Monica said...

I am from Lima, Peru and I make empanadas before but I lost my recipe and i was looking for a good one on the Internet. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I just baked these empanadas and they were AWESOME!!!
Now I don't have to wait until I go to Lima to have one of this. Yummy!!!

Liz Wright said...

My empanadas are from the south of Peru Arequipa and actually I make up my own recipe for the filling. Yes other kind of empanadas have olives and raisins they call them saltenas and the pastry is different than the empanadas. Grandmas are so special I can say that thank you to my grandma I love cooking Peruvian food. I hope you enjoy making the empanadas.

Liz Wright said...

I am glad to hear you like my recipe! Enjoy your empanadas. Arriba Peru!

Teresa said...

I live in Winnipeg, Canada. I made your recipe for our dinner club last month. The theme was Peruvian food. I exchanged the shortening for butter. Everyone absolutely loved them, and it was requested that I make smaller size ones for the upcoming Christmas party. They were definitely the best empanadas I have ever had!